What happens when we die? Do I need to be a missionary in order to obey The Great Commission? On this episode of Kitchen Table Theology, Pastor Jeff Cranston and Jen Denton take a break for a special bonus episode of answering your questions.
[00:01] What Happens Immediately After a Believer Dies?
- In a previous podcast, it was mentioned that at the rapture Jesus will raise the dead. So where are the dead right now?
- When a believer dies they enter the intermediate state
- The time in which the soul of that believer exists between physical death and the resurrection of the body
- What is the Intermediate State?
- Upon death, the spirit of the believer goes immediately to be with the Lord (Ecc 12:7)
- The believer goes to be with Christ at death. entering into Christ's presence (Luke 23:43, 2 Cor 5:8)
- Believers are in a state of awareness and consciousness in the intermediate state (Mark 12:27)
- Not the believers' final reward (Revelation 6:9-10)
- After we die with the Lord, we are also blessed (Rev 14:13)
- A place of waiting and a place of activity (Rev 7:15)
- a state of holiness(Rev 7:14)
- We will never truly know until we are there (2 Cor 12:2-4)
[10:50] Is the Great Commission for Everyone?
- In Matthew 28:19 Jesus instructs His disciples to go and make disciples of all nations. Is this only a call to the mission field to other nations? Or is this a call to each one as God has given the relevant gifts and the Holy Spirit to make disciples even in our local churches?
- In Matt 28: 16-20 Jesus tells His disciples to make disciples, baptize them, and teach them to obey the commands of Christ
- What the early Christians did in obedience to this commandment
- The Great Commission is for all believers
[19:25] Closing Up
- If you were stranded on an island, what 3 books would you want to have with you?
- See the links below for books mentioned!
- Tune in next week for our continuation of Eschatology
“Jesus never made the Great Commission and exclusive commission. It's for all of us.” - Pastor Jeff Cranston
Join the Conversation
We love your feedback! If you enjoyed this episode, leave us a review. If you have any questions or comments on today’s episode, email me at email@example.com
Visit my website https://www.jeffcranston.com and subscribe to my newsletter. Join me on Sunday mornings at LowCountry Community Church.
Check-in with us on Facebook or Instagram @pastorjeffcranston
Remember, the real power of theology is not only knowing it but applying it. Thanks for listening!